Sunday, November 23, 2008

Where's Waldo?


The University of Oklahoma and primarily the South Oval is a sea: a sea of faces.  As I go about my routine on campus, I must confess, I do not give much thought to the thousands of other people I see.  I feel like I see new people every day, and I am sure that I do, but the majority of the people I see are probably people just like me: people going about their routine, giving no thought to everyone else.  

There are, however, four people I remember; the square bearded professor, the no-shoes kid, the long-hair bearded smoker, and the classic nerd.   I feel like I see them more than the thousands of other people, but in reality I see them no more than the others.  What is it about these four individuals that makes them stand out?  Why does everyone else 'blend in'?  Do they stick out to me? Do they stand out to everyone else? 

I hold that these four individuals do stand out to everyone.  Perhaps some of you see them too.  They stand out because they do not fit in.  They don't look like the rest.  They have achieved what we all strive for: individuality.  We all want to stand out, to be our own person.  We want people to remember us.  We want to leave behind a legacy.  It is a shame that so few have achieved this.  Most of us go about trying to achieve individuality by imitation.  We model our lives around individuals.  We wear what they wear.  We do what they do.  What a shame.  We are afraid that no one will like us if we are who are.  So, we change ourselves to fit in and in so doing we nullify what we are trying to achieve.  

Next time you walk on campus, I encourage you to look for these people.  Who do you see the most?  Do you see me? 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also have noticed several arm-in-sling people, and several sports coat-over-tshirt people. It is strange how certain people stand out...

Willis said...

I've seen that square bearded professor too! He definitely stands out.

Anonymous said...

Is the square bearded professor slightly Amish looking?