Sunday, December 14, 2008

Burning Calories

The number of people on bicycles has followed the change in temperature.  

Last week I ate in the Caf twice.  I have never eaten in the Caf before.  As I am a transfer student, I was not forced upon its necessity.  Of that I am thankful.  Were I to have been here my freshman year, my frame would, inevitably, carry more weight than at present.  

Most countries have a type of food they are known for (i.e. Mexican, Chinese, etc.).  One could make a case that hamburgers or casseroles are the All-American food, but I beg to differ.  All-you-can-eat is the All-American food.  All-you-can-eat Mexican is American.  Chinese buffet is American.  Pizza buffet is American.  It doesn't matter the quality of the food.  If it is unlimited we will eat it.  How do you think Golden Corral survives?  

couch_rest_int
Both times I was at the Caf, I ate till I could eat no more.  I bet that each meal contained well over my daily recommended calorie intake.  Were I to eat at the Caf daily, I would most certainly indulge myself every time (thanks to my quick metabolism).  

I feel all alone when I ride down the south oval.  Don't be bound by the weather.  Ride with me! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I shall take up my bike and ride with thee, friend.
And... you should go to the caf on Fridays for lunch, they have fried shrimp.

Anonymous said...

Chinese food in America isn't really authentic Chinese food. Like there is no such thing as sweet and sour pork, or chop suey in china. Even fortune cookies aren't Chinese. they originated in Japan and were flavored with miso. Japanese immigrants brought them to the west coast. But during WW II the government imprisoned people of Japanese ancestry. There was still a market for the cookies in San Fransisco, so some Chinese bakeries started making them. Most Chinese resturantes work off of the same menu. Its a collection of recipes that have been gathered throughout the last century that Americans were comfortable enough with to eat, but still seem exotic. I think Chinese food is the most American of all. They even had a Chinese restaurant in the green zone when Iraq was still dangerous.