Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Nature Here at OU

First, I am compelled to note that Oklahoma weather has been putting me into an absolute quandary as to how I am supposed to leave the dorm.  Should I bring sunscreen, because it might be almost 90 degrees?  Should I bring an umbrella or snow boots, in case it really does get down to 32 degrees?  Should I just not leave at all, because a thunderstorm warning has been issued (via the rather frightening intercom in the dorms) and hazardous conditions may develop?  There is no shortage of weather excitement around here.

But on those wonderful occasions when the weather is resting at a mild 70 or so degrees, the campus really looks beautiful.  Thanks to Daylight Savings Time I was able to see this view of the moon on Sunday, around 6:45 pm, between two of the 
Cate Quads:

Another nature happening of note involves the OU squirrels.  Yes, the infamous squirrels.  They somewhat disappeared during the ice storm and have been scarce in the days since, but a run-in I had to day reminded me that they are still an 
active 
part of campus...There's something very unnerving about their boldness, almost as if they're perpetually experiencing Finals Week (for squirrels) and cannot help but dash around madly and launch themselves into any object that looks like it could be a landing pad.
Today, in the indecisive grey period before the cold front fully arrived, I was sitting in the courtyard outside of the Union (eating my Big Zeus wrap from the Laughing Tomato; I wouldn't recommend it as highly as California Craze or their whole wheat cookies) when I saw a squirrel scampering among the flower bushes.  Typical.  I returned to my studying, but when 
I looked up, was amazed to see that the squirrel was a mere two feet from my face and staring hungrily at my food!  He ran around my table a little bit, hopped onto the chair, and then raced across the ground and up into the flower bushes again.  This scenario kept repeating itself.  He would investigate another student's table, then pop his little head up onto the chair of my table, and eventually climb up to stare at me before giving a heedless leap over to the covered fountain.  Thankfully, I had my camera with me!
Those squirrels.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm extremely grateful that someone finally wrote about the squirrels. I couldn't have put it into enough words. ( :